VICAR: Rev Sarah Feaster 01423 330928
DIOCESAN READERS: Miss Nancy Clark 01423 331043 & Mr George Rowden 01423 339343
CHURCH WARDEN: Mrs Enid Fisher 01423 331031
CHAPEL WARDEN FOR ST THOMAS: Vacancy
ADDRESS: West Lane, Whixley, York YO26 8AR.
Whixley church, together with the Chapel of Ease at Green Hammerton (effectively a church serving the needs of Green Hammerton village), form the Parish of Whixley with Green Hammerton. We, in turn, are part of the Benefice of Great and Little Ouseburn, Marton cum Grafton and Whixley with Green Hammerton – a total of four independent parishes and five churches in all.
We have one priest the Rev Sarah Feaster, who is based at the vicarage at Great Ouseburn. She is supported by a small ministerial team – mainly our non-stipendary priest, the Rev Joan Roper – plus two Readers – Nan Clark and George Rowden.
There is a Verger for each parish and they are responsible for weddings and funerals. Barry Atkinson – 01423 331419– cares for Whixley Church, whilst Helena Leather – 01423 330694 – for Green Hammerton
Enid Fisher – 01423 331031 – is the churchwarden for Whixley church whilst David and Judy MacDonald are presently overseeing Green Hammerton Chapel of Ease.
The monthly Services for Whixley church until further notice are:
- First Sunday of the month – Eucharist service at 9.00 am
- Second Sunday of the month – Eucharist service at 9.00 am together with a joint service of Parish Praise with families from both churches alternating with Green Hammerton every other month at 10.30 am.
- Third Sunday of the month – combined Eucharist service at Green Hammerton at 10.30 am
- Fourth Sunday of the month – Eucharist at 9.00
- Any fifth Sundays are shared amongst the Benefice churches.
There is a Parish News magazine which is delivered monthly to your door by our volunteer helpers, and this costs £1.00 per copy, £12.00 per year. Ring any of the wardens if you would like a copy delivering to you. This contains all the news and articles of interest from around our Benefice.
Our services are very welcoming and open to everyone – why not come and join us?
B A revised July 2017